The Muslim Cemetery (Qabristaan) of Orangeburg, SC is a donated property. It is used for the
explicit purpose of burial of the members of the Muslim community of South Carolina. It is
administered by Masjid Al-Muslimiin (the Masjid) in accordance with the authentic Sunnah of
the Prophet. The use of this facility is subject to the following terms and conditions.
- A family member of the deceased, or a person designated as responsible for making the burial arrangement, must sign a standard agreement with the Masjid agreeing with the terms and conditions for the use of the facility.
- The Masjid will establish a committee (Janaza Committee) for the purpose of facilitating the community with the use of the graveyard and the matter related to the Janaza. The members of this committee are selected from the Muslim community of South Carolina.
- The responsibility for making the arrangement of preparing the body, transporting and its burial is strictly with the family. The Janaza Committee will advise and assist the community in these tasks if requested.
- The Janaza committee will recommend a donation for the use of the graveyard. Such donations will be used to offset the cost of maintenance. Although this donation is not mandatory, it is highly recommended that every family that uses this facility makes this donation, if it is within their means.
- The preparation of the graves will be in strict adherence with the Sunnah of the Prophet. This will included, but is not limited to:
- Not building a permanent structure over the grave.
- The grave will be closed with the native material. Gravel may be used over the grave in order to control the weed. The surface of the closed grave will not be raised more than six inches in length.
- No gravestone will be placed to mark the grave. The committee will recommend a standard means for placing identifiers for each grave.
- Flowers, plants, or other objects will not be allowed to be placed on the graves.